We are not just a physical body. We have subtle bodies of higher frequencies surrounding our body. They are barely perceptible to the naked human eye, but they are part of the electromagnetic field that extends all around our body. That is what we call the aura.
The aura of an average healthy body extends all around the body for about 3 feet (90cm). The aura of a person is directly connected to the level of health of the person. So a person who is healthy at all these levels has a bigger and brighter aura.
Auras may vary in colour and size. The colours one may identify in the auras correspond to the colours of the chakras. The size of the aura depends on two things. One is the level of evolution of the person. The other is how we treat our aura. Our aura gets smaller when we place constant demands on it. On the other hand, we can feed our aura with Reiki, meditation, walks in nature, etc.
The vibration of the aura is very fine and subtle so we need very fine instruments to detect it. Every single person has a specific vibration unique to that person. The resemblance on vibration is what makes us feel in harmony with another person.
All researchers agree that the aura is divided in different levels. The number of layers identified differ from one research to another. Traditionally it has been taught there are four layers. However, it seems most likely that the number of layers is seven.
- Etheric body. The etheric body appears as a blueish-grey colour, extending 0.1 to 2in (0.5 to 5cm) from your physical body. Some people also call it ectoplasm. It transfers life energy from the universal energy field to your physical body.This body is in immediate contact with the physical body. It sustains the physical body and connects it with the higher bodies. It serves as a filtration system.
- Emotional body. It is the seat of your emotions and feelings. The emotional body is the bridge between you mind and your physical body. Your emotional energy governs your fears and loves. This body is more fluid and of a higher vibration than your etheric body. It appears as coloured clouds in continual motion, reflecting the quality and intensity of your emotions. It extends 1 to 3in (2.5 to 7.5 cm) from your physical body.
- Mental body. It is the vehicle of your thoughts and intellect. We store our experiences, memories and belief patterns here. Through the mental body we express and project our personality. The mental body filtrates thoughts down to the emotional body. Emotions are responses to thoughts. This body appears as a golden light radiating out and around 3 to 8in (7.5 to 20cm).
- Spiritual body. It is also known as the Causal or Divine body. This body is associated with your true spiritual path and direction in life. It has the highest vibration of your auric bodies. Depending on the development of your spiritual nature, this body can emanate around 3ft (1m) from your physical body. It appears as a white glow and contains your true spiritual essence.
Some literature divide the aura into seven layers. According to this division, there are three physical plane bodies, three spiritual plane bodies and one layer acting like the bridge between the lower and higher bodies. The physical plane bodies are the etheric, emotional and mental bodies. The other bodies are as follows.
- Astral body. This is the bridge to the spiritual plane. The astral body is composed of coloured clouds. It extends 6in to 1ft (15 to 30cm) from the body. When we start to work with this plane we perceive energies that are not from the physical plane.
- Etheric template body. This is the building block for the lower etheric body. It exists before our body and it is the template for the physical plane. It extends 1.5 to 2ft (45 to 60cm) from the body.
- Celestial body. It could be described as the spiritual emotional plane where a person will feel things such as bliss and spiritual ecstasy. The celestial body extends 2 to 3ft (60 to 90cm) from the body.
- Ketheric Template. This is the Causal body explain above. This is the mental level of the spiritual plane. This body contains all other bodies within it and extends up to 3.5ft (1m) from the body.